Asbestos is the biggest occupational health problem ever encountered in the UK. Estimated annual deaths resulting from asbestos exposure are in the region of 3000 - 5000 per year. This number is expected to rise over the coming years.
Work with, and the management of asbestos is heavily regulated and as such a large number of legislative, guidance and best practice documents exist. The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (CAR 2012) is the current basis for all related documentation, outlining the vital components of what is required of all individuals in the workplace.
All work with asbestos is subject to CAR 2012, which imposes stringent controls on work with asbestos. All work with asbestos must have a specific risk assessment undertaken and a suitable plan of work prepared in advance regardless of the type of material being worked upon.
Derby City Council has a procured schedule of rates for asbestos consultants and asbestos contractors who have been tendered by the Asbestos Management Team (AMT). These lists MUST be used when carrying out work on asbestos on behalf of Derby City Council. Unless agreed with the AMT.
Property Design and Maintenance will ensure that all relevant documentation supplied to the AMT in relation to asbestos is kept for a period of forty years from the date of its creation. All documentation relating work undertaken with asbestos within the Council’s building stock should be copied to the AMT. It is important to note that this instruction applies to any individual acting in any capacity across Derby, regardless of employer. It is of paramount importance that a central, up to date register of asbestos is kept for years to come.
Before you start work you must:
- Check the current Asbestos Register - to see if any asbestos is known to be present in or near your work area
- Appreciate the limitations of the existing Asbestos Register - the existing register is based on non-intrusive inspections, if your works are Intrusive then additional asbestos checks must take place before you start work.
- Make sure your works do not disturb asbestos (known or hidden) - if in doubt DO NOT PROCEED, contact the person who instructed you to undertake the work for assistance. Alternatively call the Maintenance Helpdesk 01332 640212 or professional advisor.
- Understand any site specific control measures - please check the Asbestos Folder for any additional control measures currently in place.
- Have you signed the signing in sheet to confirm the above? - Complete the Signing in sheets before work is carried out. NO SIGNATURE NO START
If you need urgent asbestos assistance as part of a response to an emergency/priority call out then please phone the Maintenance Helpdesk on 01332 640212 or the Asbestos Management Team on 01332 640200 and request urgent specialist asbestos assistance.