New Communities Achievement Team
An increasing number of children arrive in Derby unable to speak English and without knowledge of the British education system.
Many also have little family experience of formal education in the home country, and speak languages that have not traditionally been widely spoken by staff or students in Derby schools.
Bilingual teaching assistants/family officers have been a vital link to support community cohesion, schools, families and children to integrate in the city.
- Asylum seekers and refugees
- Roma from Central and Eastern Europe
- Pupils who are new arrivals and who speak English as an additional language (EAL)
- Advice, guidance and support with meeting the needs of New Arrival EAL pupils
- Support for initial language assessment
- One-to-one and group / language/curriculum support for EAL new arrivals
- Support for EAL pupils at risk of exclusion
- Development of classroom teaching strategies including differentiation, planning and modelling of lessons
- Customised in-school training
- Home school liaison support
- Attendance monitoring
- Interpreting /translation service provision
- Guidance for working with parents of new arrival EAL pupils
- Parents' surgery for EAL new arrival parents at Molehill Children's Centre
- GCSE support in community languages.
We Seek To:
- Facilitate the inclusion of EAL pupils
- Enhance the progress of targeted pupils
- Support schools in raising standards
- Support schools in improving attendance
- Increase professional awareness of and ability to address issues impacting EAL newly arrived pupils
- Ensure that inclusion and access to education remains at the forefront of our work.
Sold Service Packages:
The demand from schools / academies across the city for support is increasing and we have tried to meet these needs within our Sold Services Packages.
For Further Information Contact:
New Communities Support Co-ordinator
Tel: 01332 641305 or 07812301996
Deputy New Communities Support Co-ordinator
Tel: 01332 641315 or 07812301002
The Big Building
17-19 Lowerdale Road